VERBELE BE, DO, HAVE
construirea timpurilor continue si a formei pasive:
The old man is taking an afternoon
The bridge was destroyed by
- pentru a
exprima existenta, starea fizica sau mentala sau alte informatii despre o
persoana sau un lucru:
Dr. Johnson is a dentist. He is calm and patient.
- pentru a exprima varsta:
The baby is two months old.
How old are you?
- BE TO + INFINITIV: pentru a da
ordine/instructiuni sua pentru a comunica un plan:
You are to finish your
homework before dinner. (= You must finish
The chairman is to give his
annual speech tomorrow. (= He plans to give
ABOUT TO + INFINITIV:
pentru a indica viitorul imediat:
Meg is about to leave. (= Meg
is on the point of leaving.)
- THERE + BE + SUBSTANTIV: pentru a
indica existenta unei fiinte sau a unui lucru:
There are two pieces of cake left in the fridge.
There is a person
outside the door.
1. Iata o descriere a lui Carolyn Ames. Completati spatiile cu BE:
Id like to introduce you to my
best friend. Her name
. twenty years old, but
twenty-one next month. She
. a nurse and works at
the local hospital. She has
interested in helping sick people ever since
.. a little girl. Carolyn
both friendly and understanding. All her patients like her!
Carolyn has always
.. tall and slim. Her hair
fair and curly.
.. usually well-dressed and her clothes
always fashionable. She radiates warmth. You can tell she
. a happy person from her smile.
you glad you have met her?
2. Studiati urmatoarea lista de expresii cu BE. Alegeti-o pe cea corecta pentru a completa spatiile libere.
BE NEW TO, BE WRONG, BE TIRED, BE
FOR, BE IN A HURRY, BE GOOD AT, BE AWAY, BE OVER, BE UP, BE
- Amy should go to bed. She
- My husband is interested in protecting nature. He
.. the ecological movement.
- Im afraid Ms. Jackson cannot accept your invitation.
- Im sorry but Dr. Bellman cannot come to the phone.
- Youve come too late. The concert
- Its past Jeans bedtime. She shouldnt
- Your daughter does very well in my class. She
- Why are you running?
- Paul is learning how to play tennis. He
- Our calculations dont match. Im sure yours
Utilizare: DO se foloseste atat ca verb auxiliar
cat si ca verb propriu-zis.
A. DO ca verb auxiliar:
- pentru a forma negativul si interogativul
prezentului simplu si trecutului simplu:
The kitten doesnt play with strangers.
Did they go to the opera yesterday?
- pentru a evita repetarea aceluiasi
verb sau aceleiasi expresii:
My company made a profit last year
but IBM did not.
Mary typed that letter very badly.
She certainly did!
- pentru a sublinia un afirmativ sau
Do eat your vegetables!
Youre wrong: I did pay you!
B. DO ca verb propriu-zis are sensul
general de a duce la bun sfarsit, a realiza, a executa, a administra, a pune in
Students should do the exercises at the end of each
He always does the job well.
The office clerk did the transaction yesterday.
NOTA: A nu se
confunda DO cu MAKE! Verbul MAKE are
sensul general de a crea, a produce, a construi, a cauza, a face sa fie sau a
someone a favour to
make a friend
ones best to
make the bed
good to make money
to do the
dishes to make a rule
to do the
shopping to make a mistake
ones homework to make a mess
to do a crossword
puzzle to make a living
ones duty to make fun of someone
well/badly to make oneself at home
3. Legati propozitiile
1. He prepared the meal. a.
He did me a favour.
2. He helped the victim. b.
He did his best.
3. He studied
for the history test. c.
He did good.
4. He vacuumed
the apartment. d.
He did harm to it.
5. He lent me
some money. e.
He did the dishes.
6. He bought
food for the week. f.
He did the shopping.
7. He got the
highest mark in the class. g.
He did the cooking.
8. He gave money
to charity. h.
He did his duty.
9. He washed up
after supper. i.
He did his homework.
10. He kicked
the dog. j.
He did the housework.
4. Folositi MAKE
sau DO in propozitiile de mai jos.
- Please, dont . a mess.
- He ..
the gardening for the parish to
- Please, sit down and
.. yourself at home.
- Their aunt likes to
a crossword puzzle after lunch.
- Its easy to
.. mistakes in this exercise.
- The clothes are dry. Lets
enough money for his family.
- Its not nice to
fun of other
a cake every Sunday.
- You should
Utilizare: HAVE se foloseste atat ca verb
auxiliar cat si ca verb propriu-zis.
A. HAVE ca verb
- pentru a forma alte timpuri:
Present perfect: I have
Past perfect: I had
Future perfect: I will have
Past conditional: I would
- HAD BETTER + INFINITIV fara TO
They had better study hard from the first day of school. (It would be a
good idea if they studied hard from
Youd better go home. (It would be a good idea if you went home.)
- I WONT HAVE + COMPLEMENT + -ING:
I wont have that dog sleeping on my bed! (I wont permit that dog
to sleep on my bed!)
B. HAVE ca verb
Anne always has a cold.
Anne doesnt always have a
Does Anne always have a
Cand HAVE este urmat de GOT, se intareste
Debbies got a lovely voice.
Have you got a computer?
- a manca, a bea sau a organiza:
The twins usually have dinner early.
My aunt Mary doesnt have coffee often.
Our neighbours had a cocktail party last week.
- HAVE + COMPLEMENT + PAST PARTICIPLE:
Mrs. Riley had her house painted.
(Mrs. Riley got someone to paint her house.)
My best friend has his hair trimmed every Friday. (My best friend has someone to cut his
hair every Friday.)
5. Legati propozitiile corespondente.
1. Shes smoking. a.
Shes having a bath.
2. We examined
the portrait. b.
She had a bad time.
3. She keeps
She had a baby.
4. We have lots
to worry about. d.
We had a long talk.
5. We conversed
for hours. e.
We have problems.
6. She gave
birth to a little girl. f.
She has a cold.
7. She didnt
enjoy herself. g.
Shes having a cigarette.
8. Shes washing
We had a look at the painting.
9. We had lots
of fun. i. we had a good time.
10. She needs an
She has a headache.
propozitiile urmand exemplul.
- Mrs. Farrell got someone to fix her dish
Mrs. Farrell had her dish washer fixed.
- Jennifer got someone to shorten her
- Mr. Chadwick got someone to wash his
- Mrs. Campbell got someone to straighten
her sons teeth.
- Vicky got someone to clean her suits
- Sally Elliot doesnt often get anyone to
mow her lawn.
- My aunt gets someone to make her hats.
- Nora frequently gets someone to check her
1. Lets talk a little about our identities which
means who we are, using
sociological categories of analysis, such as: nationality, age group, religion,
social belonging to one group or the other etc.