TERMENI importanti pentru acest document
Pay very close attention to SUBJECT-VERB AGREEMENT. In the grammar questions, always look for the SUBJECT first, if you are supposed to pick a verb to go with it.
John and Steve ___________ absent today.
a. is b. was c. am d. are
The police ________here to question you about the robbery.
a. are b. is c. was d. has been
The reason for his many absences and failures _______ easy to determine.
a. are b. is c. were d. have been
My father, who _____________
a. live b. living c. is live d. lives
ECL tests ________ fun.
a. is b. are c. was d. are being
The books that we use at DLI _________ good.
a. is b. am c. are d. was
Eagles ___________ faster than chickens do.
a. flew b. flying c. fly d. were flying
Economics ______ a difficult subject.
a. are b. am c. is d. were
There _____________ some bad
a. are b. have been c. has been d. was
Dogs __________ to chase cats.
a. likes b. like c. liking d. are like
There _________ three students waiting to see the supervisor.
a. is b. was c. are d. has been
Dogs and cats ________________ each other.
a. dislikes b. disliking c. are dislike d. dislike
Several people ___________ that tomorrow is a holiday.
a. says b. saying c. are said d. say
There ____________ a big problem with computer #3.
a. were b. was c. have been d. are
What ___________ the ages of your children?
a. is b. was c. am d. are
The news __________ good about your X-Rays.
a. are b. were c. is d. have been
This exercise ________ to be easy.
a. seem b. seeming c. is seem d. seems
Five aircraft __________ parked near Hangar 436.
a. is b. was c. are d. does
Pay very close attention to TIME WORDS, such as
YESTERDAY TOMORROW RIGHT NOW LAST YEAR
NEXT YEAR TWO WEEKS AGO AT THIS MOMENT
These words determine the TENSE of the VERB that goes in the blank.
I __________ to the airport tomorrow.
a. going b. went c. will go d. am go
I __________ a good movie last night.
a. see b. saw c. seeing d. seen
The children ___________ right now.
a. playing b. play c. are play d. are playing
My friend _______________ yesterday.
a. graduates b. is graduate c. graduated d. will graduate
Every afternoon I ____________ to play tennis.
a. like b. likes c. liked d. has liked
At this moment, the supervisor ________________ your record.
a. examines b. is examining c. examined d. will examining
I ____________ in the military for 6 years.
a. is b. am c. are d. have been
By the time you graduate next month, you _____________ at least 20 ECL tests.
a. will have taken b. will be take c. will have took c. are taking
He _____________ a long time ago.
a. graduates b. graduate c. is graduated d. graduated
My dog __________ cars all the time.
a. chases b. is chase c. chase d. chasing
Lt. Smith and his wife
a. were b. was c. are d. has been
I __________ at DLI since Aug. 15.
a. am b. have been c. has been d. will be
Your father _____________ two hours ago.
a. call b. calls c. is call d. called
The privates ______________ lunch right now.
a. are eating. b. eats c. eating d. was eating
I _____________ to
a. went b. am going c. did go d. have gone
Yesterday, I _______________ to the movies.
a. go b. am go c. went d. will go
The next ECL ______________ two weeks from now.
a. are b. were to be c. will be d. was
I _________________ the
a. has never visit b. have never visited c. never visiting d. no visit.
If you have TWO CLAUSES, pay close attention to the VERB TENSE of the completed clause because that will determine the tense of the verb you need to put in the blank.
While I was driving to work this morning, I _____ _______ ______ _______ about my briefing.
a. think b. was think c. will think d. was thinking
First, I went to the movie; then, I ____________ some pizza.
a. eat b. will eat c. ate d. am eating
Before the firemen could extinguish the flames, the house ___________________ .
a. will already burn down b. was already burn down c. is already burn down d. had already burned down
40. When I was a child, I always ________________ my homework.
a. did b. do c. will do d. have done
41. Before I went to bed last night, I ___________ my teeth.
a. brushed b. brush c. brushing d. was brush
42. Because it was raining, we ________________ the picnic.
a. cancel b. canceled c. are cancel d. cancels
43. I _______________ the taste of raw tomatoes ever since I was a little boy.
a. like b. am like c. liking d. have liked
44. I need to borrow some money because I _______________ to bring my wallet this morning.
a. forget b. am forget c. will forget d. forgot
While I was in college, I _____________ on most of my tests.
a. cheat b. have cheat c. cheated d. am cheating
46. You may leave now, unless you ______________ to hear the same lecture again.
a. wanted b. want c. are wanting d. will be wanted
47. Just as I was walking into the classroom, the bell ________________.
a. ring b. ringing c. rang d. did run
48. I will sit in the car and wait while you ____________________ in the store.
a. shops b. shopped c. will be shop d. shop
49. Before I could stomp on the brake, I _______________ the dog.
a. will hit b. was hit c. hit d. have hit
50. Because it ________________ so much last night, I was unable to play soccer.
a. rain b. rains c. rained d. raining
51. Just as I walked outside, it ______________ to rain.
a. started b. starts c. starting d. is start
52. Before I mail this letter tomorrow, I ______________ it.
a. am reread b. will reread c. did reread d. rereading
53. I was sitting in my car when _________________.
a. the storm start b. starts the storm c. the storm started d. the storm is start
54. While you are taking the ECL tomorrow, I __________________ your papers.
a. read b. am reading c. will be reading d. have read
55. The policeman shot the suspects before they _______________.
a. will surrender b. could surrender c. surrender d. are surrender
An extension of this Category will be the IF clauses, where the correct answer for one clause depends totally on the verb form of the other clause.
56. If it rains tomorrow, I ______________ home.
a. will stay b. stayed c. had stayed d. would have stayed
57. If I were you, I _________________ more.
a. will study b. would study c. studied d. would have studied
58. If I had seen you at the BX, I ____________________ you a ride back to the dorm.
a. will give b. would have given c. gave d. am giving
59. If a student cheats on a test, he ____________ a score of zero.
a. got b. would have gotten c. will have gotten d. gets
60. If you had been in the Lab on time, you ____________ the test with everyone else.
a. could take b. can has taken c. could be taken d. could have taken
61. I will wait for you if you _________________.
a. hurry b. hurried c. would have hurried d. hurries
62. They would have drowned if they___________________their life jackets.
a. had not worn b. will not wear c. do not wear d. didnít wear
63. You might get good scores if you _________ tomorrow.
a. study b. studied c. would have studied d. are study
64. I would resign immediately if I ________________ the president.
a. was b. were c. am d. have been
65. If you see Joe, _________________ him a message?
a. will you gave b. did you give c. have you given d. will you give
66. If you do well on the next ECL, Ms. Stuart ______________ happy.
a. is b. was c. were d. will be
67. If you memorize all of these rules, you _________________ well on the next ECL.
a. do b. should do c. would have done d. are doing
68. I will be happy if your ECL score _______________ next time.
a. go up b. went up c. goes up d. is gone up
69. If today __________ Sunday, I might be at the mall.
a. is b. are c. was d. were
70. I will be very happy when I ____________ home.
a. returned b. am returned c. return d. had returned
71. If it had rained yesterday, I ________________ my raincoat.
a. will wear b. would have worn c. am wearing d. wear
72. I never answer my telephone if it ____________ after midnight.
a. ring b. was ringing c. rings d. will ring
73. If I ___________ you, I would memorize my IF CLAUSE patterns.
a. were b. was c. had been d. am
You must learn how to create proper questions.
74. What _______________ last night?
a. you did b. do you did c. did you d. did you do
75. Where ____________ tomorrow after class?
a. are you going b. you are going c. you do d. does you go
76. When __________________?
a. starts the test b. does the test starts c. is going to start the test d. is the test going to start
77. Which is correct?
a. How old you are? b. How old is it are you? c. You how old are? d. How old are you?
78. What time ___________________ this morning?
a. you got up b. does you got up c. got you up d. did you get up
79. In what year _____ _______ ______ _______?
a. were you born b. you was born c. you born d. was you born
80. We are leaving now. __________________ with us?
a. You still go b. Are you still going c. Still you go d. You go still
81. Which is correct?
a. What rank he is? b. What rank is he? c. What do he have? d. What rank he has?
82. Why ________________ that?
a. he did b. do he did c. is he done d. did he do e. he done
83. When is the movie going to end?
a. At what time end movie? b. The movie end when?
c. At what time will the movie end? d. The movie going to end when?
84. I just saw ďTitanic.Ē _____ _______ ______ _____________
a. Has you seen it yet? b. You have saw it yet? c. Did you have seen it yet? d. Have you seen it yet?
85. Where _____ _______ ______ ______ that book?
a. did you bought b. you bought c. did you buy d. did was bought
86. I think Joe is stupid. _____ _______ ______ ______
a. You are agree with me? b. Do you agree with me?
c. Does you are agree with me? d. You does agree with me?
87. When __________ ______ ____ _?
a. you are graduate b. does you graduate c. are you graduating d. you will graduate
88. _____ _______ ______ ____________ a question correctly yet?
a. You can ask b. Do you can ask c. Can you ask d. Are you can ask
You must learn how to analyze TAG QUESTIONS.
89. The test will be difficult, _____ _______ ______ _______?
a. shouldnít it b. will it c. wonít it d. wasnít it
90. English is fun, ___________________?
a. isnít it b. canít it c. donít it d. will it
91. John has never been to
a. does he b. has he c. hasnít he d. canít he
92. Maria bought a new car yesterday, _________________?
a. doesnít she b. canít she c. will she d. didnít she
93. We should bring Mr. Williams some fudge brownies, _____ _______ ______ ______?
a. should we b. shouldnít we c. will we d. donít we
94. There is another ECL next week, _____ _______ ______ __________?
a. is it b. is there c. isnít it d. isnít there
95. It has never snowed in
a. does it b. hasnít it c. did they d. has it
96. Joe is not a Major, _____ _______ ______ _______?
a. is he b. does he c. do he d. isnít he
97. Your brother didnít do his homework last night, _____ _______ ______ _______?
a. didnít she b. does he c. did he d. didnít he
98. We will leave soon, _____ _______ ______ _______?
a. wonít we b. will we c. donít we d. canít we
99. You have never been arrested, ___________________?
a. are you b. havenít you c. arenít you d. have you
100. There is a bad storm approaching, _____ _______ ______ _______?
a. isnít it b. are there c. isnít there d. doesnít it
101. I am the best student in this class, _____ _______ ______ _________?
a. am I b. arenít I c. do I d. donít I
102. We must study more, _____ _______ ______ _______?
a. mustnít we b. should we c. canít we d. will we
103. Joe was studying all night, ____________________?
a. was he b. wasnít he c. did he d. has he
104. Mike has an interesting accent, _____ _______ ______ _____________?
a. doesnít he b. has he c. donít he d. have he
105. This exercise is easy, _____ _______ ______ _______?
a. doesnít it b. is it c. wonít they d. isnít it
106. You have never lived in
a. are you b. arenít you c. have you d. havenít you
107. I am scheduled for another ECL next week, ____________________?
a. arenít I b. am I c. amnít I d. do I
108. It is cold outside, _____ _______ ______ _______?
a. is it b. does it c. does there d. isnít it
Is it ACTIVE or PASSIVE VOICE? Look for the word ďbyĒ to indicate who or what does the action in a passive voice sentence. Sometimes, however, the agent is missing.
109. Horses _______________ grass.
a. eats b. are eat c. eat d. are eaten
110. Presents _________________ at
Christmas in the
a. are given b. give c. gave d. are giving
111. This handout _____ _______ ______ _______ by Mr. Williams.
a. is write b. is writing c. was write d. was written
112. Japan _____ _______ ______ ______ good automobiles.
a. make b. is made c. makes d. was made
113. The best automobiles
a. make b. is made c. are made d. is making
114. The money _____________ from the bank was found yesterday.
a. steal b. steals c. stolen d. stealing
115. This exercise, _____ _______ ______ ________ by Mr. Williams, might help you.
a. which is wrote b. which was written c. which is writing d. which writes
116. The earthquake _________________ the village.
a. destroy b. was destroyed c. destroying d. destroyed
117. President McKinley ____________________ in 1901.
a. assassinated b. was assassinated c. is assassinated d. will be assassinated
118. Susanna ___________________ a beautiful diamond ring by her fiancee.
a. is gave b. gave c. has given d. was given
119. Your car _____ _______ ______ ______ before closing time.
a. will fix b. did fixed c. will be fixed d. is fixing
120. Any test __________________ by Dr. Grinch will be difficult.
a. wrote b. writes c. writing d. written
121. Valentines ____________________ on February 14.
a. are exchanged b. exchanging c. exchange d. do exchange
122. The next ECL _____ _______ ______ _______ on a Wednesday because of the Monday holiday.
a. is gave b. gives c. will give d. will be given
123. You cannot drive here because this road ___________________ for the next few weeks.
a. is work on b. is going to be worked on c. was work on d. is working on
124. The car __________________ by
my neighbor was found last night near
a. steal b. which was steal c. stolen d. was stolen
125. The next ECL ___________________ in four weeks.
a. is gave b. will be gave c. will be given d. was gave
126. These techniques ____________________ before the next ECL.
a. must be learned b. must learn c. has to be learn d. have been learning
You have to learn all the MODALS and their equivalents.
127. You must learn about modals.
a. should b. ought to c. have to d. would rather
128. Joe is able to run 5 miles in 20 minutes.
a. will b. can c. must d. had better
129. You ought to memorize all of the irregular verbs.
a. must b. have to c. should d. shall
130. It might snow tomorrow night.
a. will b. may c. has to d. would
131. When I was a child, I was able to stay awake all night long.
a. can b. could c. should d. will
132. When I was a child, I used to stay awake all night.
a. would b. should c. had to d. ought to
133. You have my permission to leave early today.
a. would rather b. may c. would d. shall
134. We expect rain tonight. It _____________ rain.
a. would rather b. have to c. should d. wonít
135. The weatherman says it may rain tomorrow.
a. will b. did c. used to d. might
136. You should call your family tonight.
a. ought to b. must c. can d. have to
137. She must mail her packages today.
a. have to b. is to c. has to d. had to
138. When I was much younger, I was able to survive on just 3 or 4 hours of sleep.
a. could b. should c. have to d. must
139. I prefer to eat beef, not fish.
a. had better b. would rather c. ought to d. may
140. I was required to take another test last week.
a. ought to b. had to c. would d. need to
141. The British teacher says we will return tomorrow.
a. shall b. might c. could d. need to
142. You must study more.
a. has to b. had to c. ought to d. have to
143. You ought to see ďTitanicĒ tomorrow.
a. will b. can c. must d. should
144. You have my permission to go get a drink of water.
a. will b. might c. used to d. may
145. If I were you, I _______________ study these modals very carefully.
a. will b. am c. would d. shall
146. The next test is to be tomorrow.
a. will be b. might be c. could be d. may be
You have to learn which form of a verb (gerund? infinitive? simple form?)
I made the children GO to bed early.
I got the students TO DO their homework.
147. You should avoid ___________downtown alone after midnight.
a. go b. going c. to go d. gone
148. He volunteered __________ to
a. to go b. go c. going d. for go
149. I got the dog _____________ barking.
a. stop b. stopped c. stopping d. to stop
150. I saw the man ___________ from the bridge into the river.
a. to jump b. jumped c. jumps d. jump
151. I had the maid ___________ my room again.
a. clean b. to clean c. cleaned d. cleans
152. He anticipates ________________.
a. graduating b. to graduate c. graduate d. graduated
153. I need ______________ this article.
a. read b. reading c. to read d. to be read
154. I let the children _____________ outside.
a. to play b. played c. playing d. play
155. He recommended ____________ to the zoo first.
a. going b. go c. to go d. goes
156. I remember _____________ my keys on the kitchen table. Where are they now?
a. to put b. put c. putting d. puts
157. Under what circumstances would you consider ______________ yourself?
a. killing b. to kill c. kill d. killed
158. This handout will help you ____________ on the ECL.
a. improving b. improve c. improves d. improved
159. I finally got the children ____________ napkins when they eat.
a. to use b. use c. using d. uses
160. When I was a kid, I used to ________________ my bike to school.
a. riding b. rode c. rides d. ride
161. I let the dog _____________ outside.
a. to go b. went c. go d. goes
162. I donít enjoy _________________ tests.
a. take b. taking c. to take d. taken
163. I finished _______________ my car at 0945.
a. washing b. to wash c. wash d. washed
PRACTICE: All of the above are mixed for maximum confusion.
164. Yesterday, three suspects _______________by the police.
a. are arresting b. was arrested c. were arrest d. were arrested
165. A child, hidden among the trees, ____________________.
a. was crying b. cry c. is cry d. will be cry
166. I am scheduled for another ECL next week, __________________?
a. am I b. arenít I c. canít I d. will I
167. Lt. Smith ____________ Lackland tomorrow night.
a. leave b. is left c. will be leaving d. was left
168. If I _____________ you, I would analyze these questions more carefully.
a. was b. were c. are d. have been
169. Because it rained yesterday, we _______________ the parade.
a. cancel b. canceling c. are cancel d. canceled
170. First, I bought some stamps at the post office. Then, I _______________ a letter.
a. write b. wrote c. written d. did writing
171. The men__________________by the police claimed to be innocent.
a. arresting b. arrested c. arrest d. arrests
172. I daydreamed about retirement as I_____________to work this morning.
a. drove b. drive c. driving d. was drive
173. Tomorrow, I______________the fudge brownies that the students owe me.
a. eat b. ate c. am eat d. will eat
174. He doesnít know what_________________.
a. he talking about b. is he talking about c. he talk about d. heís talking about
175. You really ought to bring some flowers to your teacher.
a. must b. have to c. shall d. should
176. If you study a lot, you _____________ better test scores.
a. got b. had gotten c. could have got d. will get
177. Because there was a lot of traffic this morning, I_________________late for work.
a. did b. made c. was d. had
178. First, I changed my clothes; then, I ____________ my mail.
a. read b. do read c. was read d. am reading
179. Next week, my friend________________.
a. graduate b. is graduate c. graduates d. will graduating
180. If I had been at the party, I ____________________you all the latest gossip.
a. will tell b. would have told c. tell d. was told
181. Because the movie had already started, we________________the first few minutes.
a. miss b. were miss c. missed d. would have missed
We have a few preposition rules, but a log of our preposition phrases are idiomatic. (We canít explain WHY we say it that way, only that we do it that way because thatís the way we do it).
182. My parents live _____________
a. at b. on c. in d. to
183. My parents live ____________
a. at b. on c. in d. to
184. I was born _________ 1973.
a. of b. to c. in d. at
185. I was born ___________Aug. 12, 1973.
a. on b. to c. in d. at
186. I was born _______________New
a. on b. at c. from d. in
187. The test will start _________ 0745.
a. in b. on c. at d. to
188. Give the pencil ________ me, please.
a. at b. to c. for d. with
189. This exercise was written ___________ Mr. Williams.
a. by b. at c. on d. of
190. I always take my vacation ________ the summer.
a. in b. at c. on d. to
191. I have been in the military ___________ 12 years.
a. since b. during c. at d. for
192. I am not afraid _________ cobras.
a. to b. of c. by d. with
193. I have been in this class __________ Sept. 25.
a. since b. for c. on d. at
194. It takes a long time to
a. by b. in c. to d. for
195. He has been married ___________ 1990.
a. for b. since c. at d. in
196. I would like another cup __________ coffee.
a. to b. in c. on d. of
197. Please give this book ____________ Joe.
a. for b. to c. at d. by
198. My son keeps drawing pictures _______ the walls of his bedroom.
a. in b. on c. to d. at
199. I want to sit __________ the shade of that big tree over there.
a. among b. in c. on d. to
You have to learn all the PRONOUNS.
We have personal pronouns (subjects and objects), possessive pronouns, demonstrative pronouns, relative pronouns, indefinite pronouns, interrogative pronouns, and reflexive pronouns. Unfortunately, you must learn all of them.
200. Give the books to _____________.
a. he and she b. Joe and she c. him and her d. I
201. My daughter fell down and hurt ________________.
a. herselves b. himself c. itself d. herself
202. My father took _____________ car to the repair shop.
a. her b. its c. those d. his
203. Where is ______________ book?
a. me b. an c. these d. my
204. I bought a new CD, but now I canít find __________.
a. them b. they c. it d. him
205. Please give the new books to _____________.
a. him and I b. he and I c. me and he d. him and me
206. The commanding officer _______________ will inspect the barracks.
a. themselves b. himself c. ourselves d. itself
207. My mother lost ___________ keys.
a. hers b. his c. itís d. her
208. Give me that book! Itís ____________.
a. mine b. my c. me d. no yours
209. I donít want to be in a class with _________ students who speak Spanish all the time.
a. others b. another c. other d. some others
210. My wife hurt ______________.
a. himself b. sheself c. ourself d. herself
211. The car________I bought was a bargain.
a. who b. which c. whom d. what
212. Mind your own business. This is an argument between________________.
a. Joe and I b. he and I c. him and I d. him and me.
213. He gave_______________bicycles for Christmas.
a. my brother and I b. my brother and me c. I and my brother d. me brother and I
214. That is ___________ car.
a. me b. my c. he d. him
215. My father took _____________car to the repair shop yesterday.
a. her b. his c. its d. me
216. The girls did this report all by _____ _______ ______ ____________.
a. herselves b. theyselves c. themselves d. theirselves
217. I want to thank you for inviting my wife and ___________ to dinner.
a. I b. me c. we d. he
You have to use DETERMINERS.
218. Most people want ____________________.
a. the freedom b. many freedom c. freedom d. lots freedom
219. I want to buy ___________ cigarettes.
a. a b. some c. an d. a few of
220. The teacher gives _________________ homework.
a. too much b. many c. lot d. a
221. May I please have ________________ coffee?
a. any b. both c. some d. much
222. I lost _______________ money.
a. all b. my all c. all of me d. all of my
223. I want a picture of __________________ elephants.
a. that three b. those three c. them three d. this three
224. I donít want to be in a class with _______________ students.
a. others b. other c. that d. them
225. There are ________________ cars in the parking lot.
a. too much b. some much c. too many d. some many
226. I bought ______________ book.
a. some old b. a old c. these old d. an old
227. The police said they captured______________ robbery suspects.
a. both of b. the both c. one d. both of the
228. To get 100 on the ECL and 3/3 on the OPI is extremely difficult. __________ students ever manage to do that.
a. Few b. A few c. Some d. Many
229. I bought_______________pies for the buffet.
a. a b. one c. an d. several
230. Tell ______________ students that they will take the test.
a. all of five b. the all five c. all five d. all the of five
231. The kids ate__________________ candy before supper.
a. too many b. some of c. lot d. too much
232. I bought __________________ roses for my mother.
a. severals red beautiful b. beautiful red several c. beautiful several red d. several beautiful red
233. I like studying ______________ kind of exercise.
a. this b. these c. those d. many
234. People in some countries do not have _____ _______ ______ _________.
a. same freedoms b. those freedom c. the freedom d. freedom
235. I donít like ________________ exercises.
a. this b. these c. those d. them
You have to learn all the CONNECTING WORDS---the conjunctions and the adverbial connectives.
236. It was raining, ____________I stayed inside and watched television.
a. but b. for c. so d. yet
237. I hate fish; ___________________, I ate two servings of it at my sisterís party.
a. and b. moreover c. so d. however
238. I had an accident. Thus, my insurance premium went up.
a. Therefore b. But c. Nevertheless d. Still
239. I went to the movies _____________ I returned home.
a. because b. since c. and then d. however
240. I want to go to the BX, ______________I donít have time.
a. but b. so c. because d. moreover
241. I like to drink tequila, _______________ does my brother.
a. but so b. and too c. and so d. while not
a. so b. while c. when d. because
243. I like to learn English grammar, _______________ my classmates donít.
a. if b. when c. but d. moreover
244. He injured himself during the soccer game, _____________ we took him to the hospital.
a. but b. first c. so d. because
245. You should read the instructions ______________ you begin marking answers on the answer sheet.
a. after b. during c. if d. before
246. I was late for work
________________ an accident on
a. due to b. because c. since d. reason for
247. He won the race _______________ his injured leg.
a. inspite b. despite of c. in spite of d. because
248. __________________ it was raining, the children wanted to play outside.
a. Although b. So c. But d. However
249. I donít know if he will go or not.
a. why b. when c. where d. whether
250. I studied a lot; as a result, I got a good score on the test.
a. therefore b. however c. moreover d. furthermore
251. Neither Joe _________ Steve will be at the meeting.
a. and b. or c. but d. nor
252. First, you must learn about verb forms; ________________, you must learn prepositions.
a. before b. then c. while d. however
253. He went to the hospital________________he felt very ill.
a. but b. and c. however d. because
254. He got 100 on the ECL; ________________ his teachers are proud of him.
a. otherwise b. therefore c. furthermore d. moreover
A big problem will be VOCABULARY.
255. I feel depressed today because the weather is bad.
a. sad b. joyous c. healthy d. rich
256. I want you to choose whichever dessert you want.
a. pick off b. pick up c. pick away d. pick out
257. The top of the mountain is covered with snow.
a. base b. foothills c. peak d. side
258. When you are thirsty, you should drink ___________________.
a. gasoline b. water c. paint d. ink
259. I live in a very safe _____ _______ ______ ________.
a. neigh b. neighbor c. neighborly d. neighborhood
260. The test will be hard.
a. difficult b. easy c. short d. simple
261. They inspected the engine completely.
a. partially b. sporadically c. thoroughly d. superficially
262. It is risky to drive at night in an ice storm.
a. entertaining b. hazardous c. safe d. fun
263. He was murdered when he was 23 years old.
a. born b. graduated c. married d. killed
264. The doctors say he will recover and survive the operation.
a. pull over b. pull out c. pull off d. pull through
IF YOU HAVE THREE ANSWERS THAT ALL MEAN THE SAME THING, THEY CANCEL EACH OTHER OUT AND YOU ARE LEFT WITH WHAT IS THE CORRECT ANSWER, EVEN IF YOU DONíT KNOW THE MEANING OF IT.
265. I ate a gargantuan piece of cake at lunch.
a. gigantic b. little c. small d. tiny
266. Steve is stupid.
a. smart b. intelligent c. dumb d. brainy
267. He comes from a poor family.
a. wealthy b. moneyless c. affluent d. rich
268. The test was horrible.
a. awful b. terrible c. hideous d. all of the above
269. The transformer is inoperative today.
a. good b. malfunctioning c. expensive d. working
270. I need new glasses. I canít see the __________ of that clock.
a. fingers b. arms c. legs d. hands
271. I feel weary today.
a. happy b. exhausted c. angry d. silly
One aspect of vocabulary is your knowledge of PREFIXES.
272. How many wheels does a tricycle have?
a. one b. two c. three d. four
273. This is unimportant
a. It is very important. b. It is not important. c. It is extremely important d. It is really important.
274. The mayor of my hometown is__________________because of some bad decisions he made last year.
a. impopular b. nonpopular c. inpopular d. unpopular
275. I want you to write your paragraph again. I want you to __________________it.
a. unwrite b. biwrite c. rewrite d. antiwrite
276. Draw half of a circle on your paper. Draw a ____________________.
a. circle b. hemicircle c. semicircle d. demicircle
277. Iím allergic to cigarette smoke, so I have to sit in the ______________section of the restaurant.
a. nonsmoking b. unsmoking c. antismoking d. imsmoking
278. This is not a little store. It is a huge_____ _______ ______ _________.
a. .supermarket b. intermarket c. contramarket d. minimarket
279. A navy vessel designed to function under the water is a_____ _______ ______ _______.
a. boat b. submarine c. aircraft carrier d. ferry
280. A piece of equipment designed to help you see things that are far away is a ____________________.
a. microscope b. stethoscope c. telescope d. horoscope
281. A fast boat that can move quickly across the surface of water is a _____________.
a. monoboat b. hydroplane c. submarine d. maximum
282. I cannot memorize all of the ____________________ verbs.
a. unregular b. imregular c. irregular d. ilregular
283. His answers were _____ _______ ______ _______.
a. incorrect b. uncorrect c. noncorrect d. imcorrect
284. He speaks many languages. He is _____ _______ ______ _______.
a. monolingual b. bilingual c. nonlingual d. multilingual
285. He is a _________________ person.
a. dishonest b. unhonest c. nonhonest d. mishonest
286. An octagon has __________________ sides.
a. six b. seven c. eight d. nine
287. That scale model is very small. It is a _____ _______ ______ ______.
a. miniature b. microture c. mesature d. sinecure
288. He wrote his own biography. It is _____ _______ ______ __________.
a. an autobiography b. a self-biography c. a unibiography d. an owner-biography
289. All of these questions are closely related to each other. They are_____________.
a. extrarelated. b. more related c. intrarelated. d. quasirelated
We learn hundreds of phrasal verbs at DLI. You have to learn as many of them as you can.
290. We will have to cancel the picnic.
a. call up b. call in c. call in d. call off
291. We will not put off the soccer game.
a. cancel b. postpone c. publicize d. attend
292. Can you lift that chair by yourself?
a. pick up b. pick out c. pick on d. pick off
293. The meeting will wind up at 0930.
a. start b. begin c. commence d. end
294. He has trouble explaining his ideas to his students.
a. getting out b. getting across c. getting up d. getting in
295. Can you make up a good question about German history?
a. create b. answer c. remember d. read
296. Iím saving a little money each month to buy a new color TV.
a. putting out b. putting off c. putting up d. putting aside
297. He was raised by his grandmother in Florida.
a. done over b. taken out c. brought up d. come to
298. He vomited after drinking too much warm Pepsi.
a. threw out b. threw up c. threw away d. threw in
299. Be careful!
a. Watch over! b. Watch out! c. Watch in! d. Watch through!
300. We had to summon an expert to solve our problem.
a. call in b. call out c. call down d. call back
301. The bomb exploded in the rear of the bus.
a. blew out b. blew up c. blew off d. blew away
302. Despite the heavy rain, the plane took off after only a short delay.
a. landed b. crashed c. arrived d. departed
303. I want you to hand in your papers now.
a. submit b. correct c. give out d. redo
304. Can you create a good sentence in the passive voice?
a. make out b. make over c. make up d. make through
305. Itís time to submit your papers to the teacher.
a. hand in b. hand out c. hand over d. hand around
306. The alarm bell sounded during the middle of the ECL.
a. came to b. went off c. did over d. took apart
307. The total bill ________________ $323.43.
a. came to b. took over c. picked through d. went out
You need to learn the different parts of speech (noun, verb, adjective, adverb), so that you can select CORRECT WORD FORMS to fill in the blanks.
308. I value your_____ _______ ______ ___________.
a. friendness b. friendly c. friendhood d. friendship
309. A lot of these numbers are___________________.
a. inaccuracy b. inaccurated c. inaccurate d. inaccuracies
310. I think Dr. Garfield is______professional.
a. un- b. im- c. in- d. mis-
311. This part of the country has a high level of ____________________.
a. unemploy b. unemploying c. unemploys d. unemployment
312. This magazine is about____________________.
a. entertainer b. entertain c. entertainment d. entertained
313. That was a(n)______________act which he committed.
a. legal b. legality c. legalness d. illegal
314. The safe _________________ of troops is that unitís #1 priority.
a. deployed b. deployment c. deploy d. deploition
315. I need to buy some additional car_____ _______ ______ ________.
a. insure b. insuring c. insurance d. insured
316. She has been a 911 radio___________________ for over 10 years.
a. dispatcher b. dispatch c. dispatching d. dispatchment
317. You need to____________________before you begin an important mission.
a. planify b. plan c. planet d. planning
318. This movie is for adults only. It is not for ____________________.
a. young b. youngsters c. youngs d. youngers
319. I hear you had a car accident. How much are the _______________ going to cost?
a. repairs b. repairment c. reparation d. repairing
320. There is a lot of _________________ in New York City.
a. criminality b. crimes c. crime d. criminal
321. Heís not in the military. Heís a ___________________.
a. civilian b. civil c. civilized d. civilization
322. You are not supposed to make __________________ calls from this telephone.
a. person b. personality c. personalize d. personal
323. That was the _________________ story I have ever heard.
a. saddest b. sadder c. sadness d. sad
324. I canít concentrate today. I am ___________________ with work.
a. preoccupated b. preoccupation c. preoccupy d. preoccupied
325. During the first week of school, we have to _________________ the students.
a. orient b. orientate c. oriental d. orationalize
326. I think Joe is wrong. I _________________ with him.
a. am no agree b. am disagree c. disagree d. no agree
You must learn to use ADJECTIVES and ADVERBS correctly.
327. He is a very _______________ driver.
a. quick b. quicker c. quickly d. quickness
328. She is a _______________ worker.
a. hard b. hardly c. hardness d. harden
329. That is a _____ _______ ______ _________horse.
a. beauty b. beautiful c. beautician d. beautify
330. He speaks_____ _______ ______ ______.
a. slow b. slowly c. slowness d. slowed
331. The students are _______________because the material is too easy for them.
a. bore b. boring c. boredom d. bored
332. Joe is a fast runner, but Tom is________________than Joe.
a. fast b. faster c. fastly d. more faster
333. I hope I can find an___________________banker to deal with.
a. honest b. honestly c. honestness d. honested
334. The__________________children ran toward the clown.
a. laugh b. laughing c. laughed d. laughter
335. The soccer game was very __________________.
a. excite b. exciting c. excited d. excitable
336. Mary is smart, but Susan is__________________student in the school.
a. the most intelligent b. the intelligentest c. most intelligent d. more intelligent
337. The police opened the door __________________.
a. careful b. carefully c. carfulled d. carefullness
338. She is this companyís most____________________worker.
a. capable b. capacity c. capability d. capsizing
339. What is your _________________job here at DLI?
a. exactly b. exact c. exactness d. exactitude
340. She sings_____ _______ ______ ______.
a. angelically b. angel c. angelic d. angelical
341. This weather has been absolutely____________________.
a. wonder b. wonderfully c. wonderful d. wondered
342. Think____________________before you answer.
a. careful b. care c. carefulness d. carefully
343. He answered the teacher very ____________________.
a. polite b. politely c. politeness d. politics
344. He guessed my ___________________ weight.
a. exact b. exactly c. exacting d. exacted
345. He answered the question_____ _______ ______ ________.
a. correctly b. correct c. correctedly d. correctionally
You have to learn proper SYNTAX (word order).
346. I bought _____ _______ ______ _________.
a. a white sports Italian car. b. a sports white Italian car.
c. a car white Italian sports c. a white Italian sports car
347. How often do you go to the movies?
a. I go almost never to the movies. b. I almost go never to the movies.
c. I almost never go to the movies. d. I to the movies almost never go.
348. Which sentence is correct?
a. I bought three big wool sweaters. b. I three wool big sweaters bought.
c. I bought three wool big sweaters. d. I bought wool three big sweaters.
349. Which sentence is correct?
a. I never have to the Alamo been. b. Never I been to the Alamo have.
c. I to the Alamo have been never. d. I have never been to the Alamo.
350. Which sentence is correct?
a. He always at the messhall fish eats. b. He always eats fish at the messhall.
c. At the messhall always eats he fish. d. Fish eats he at the messhall always.
351. I donít like Latoya Jackson and _____ _______ ______ ______________.
a. neither my brother do b. my brother do not either
c. my brother too d. neither does my brother
352. Joe asks, ďWhere is the library?Ē
a. Joe wants to know where is the library. b. Joe wants to know the library where is.
c. Joe wants to know where the library is. d. Joe is want to know where the library.
353. Which sentence is correct?
a. I saw a French white, ugly big poodle. b. I saw a white French big ugly poodle.
c. I saw an ugly, French white big poodle. d. I saw a big, ugly white French poodle.
354. Which sentence is correct?
a. I will go tomorrow to the airport. b. I to the airport will tomorrow go.
c. I will go to the tomorrow airport. d. I will go to the airport tomorrow.
355. Which sentence is correct?
a. We ordered a big sausage hot tasty pizza.
b. We ordered a sausage hot tasty big pizza.
c. We ordered a big hot tasty sausage pizza.
d. We ordered a big pizza sausage hot tasty.
We have thousands of common IDIOMS. You must learn as many as possible, so you can figure out what they mean in context.
356. Computer #5 is on the blink.
a. Itís on the desk. b. Itís on sale. c. Itís not working. d. It has been cleaned.
357. A million bucks is just chickenfeed to him.
a. Thatís a lot of money to him. b. That is more money than he will ever see or earn.
c. That is too much money to pay for anything. d. That amount of money is insignificant to him.
358. Heís still a little wet behind the ears.
a. He is still sleepy. b. He just got married.
c. He is starving. d. He doesnít have much experience.
359. Iím broke.
a. I donít have any money. b. My body really hurts.
c. I am very happy. d. I am very tired.
360. Donít count your chickens before they hatch.
a. Donít try to order chicken in the restaurant.
b. Donít assume you will have something until you actually have it.
c. Donít tell people you did something if you didnít do it.
d. Donít tell lies to your friends and relatives.
361. Donít cry over spilled milk.
a. Donít worry about things from the past. b. Donít argue with the teacher about grammar.
c. Donít punish your children when they do bad things. d. Donít purchase milk from the store if it is bad.
362. Thatís all just water under the bridge.
a. Forget about it. b. You need to revive an old argument.
c. Donít go swimming. d. You must finish all previous jobs.
363. The next ECL will be a piece of cake.
a. It will be very difficult. b. It will be very easy.
c. Dessert is more important than meat. d. The ECL is not important to us.
364. Heís gotten too big for his britches.
a. He needs some new clothes. b. He should take them to the tailor.
c. Someone should cut him down to size. d. We should congratulate him.
365. Mr. Williams has a short fuse today.
a. He doesnít have much money. b. He feels very sick. c. Heís extremely happy. d. He has a quick temper.
You need to learn how to READ PARAGRAPHS for the main idea (skimming) or for specific information (scanning). Always read the question(s) FIRST, so that you know what you are looking for when you actually start to read the paragraph.
There are many strange birds in the world, but by far the most interesting to many scientists is the kiwi, which is native to New Zealand. This bird is nocturnal, meaning it sleeps during the day and searches for food during the night. On the one hand, this is safe because most of its predators sleep during the night. However, being a nocturnal creature does have its disadvantages: namely, nighttime predators, such as owls, can easily detect and attack the tiny kiwis. Another interesting fact about the kiwi is that it cannot fly. It scurries around rapidly, so that owls, which are used to catching other nocturnal birds in midair, have problems locating kiwis that have dashed into a bush or clump of grass for safety.
What is the main idea of this reading?
a. Owls are the most famous birds of New Zealand.
b. The kiwi is a very strange and interesting bird.
c. Kiwis are predators that often attack and kill owls.
d. There are no nocturnal birds in New Zealand.
Which other bird is given as an example of a nocturnal animal?
a. a bush b. a fly c. a clump of grass d. an owl
Based on this reading, we can safely conclude that a predator would________________.
a. eat grass and seeds b. eat fruits and nuts
c. not be able to fly at night d. eat other creatures for food
Adauga cod HTML in site